4/1/15

Taking Stock

I have realized that my interview questions and surveys are very limited for the sake of this project. I am trying to shape my project in a way that will produce valuable results. So, I ask each participant the same questions. After all, I have to interpret the data into measureable information. My goal is for my research to answer some, if not all, my initial questions, such as, how do students feel about writing, how do they feel about themselves as writers, do they think they can improve, what do they think good writing looks like, do they think writing is essential, what makes writing interesting for them, and what motivates their writing? On the other hand, the discussions that occur off record with participants are also very insightful and teach me things that I cannot articulate into measureable data. My day-to-day conversations with high school students, college students, professionals, and educators about writing are contributing to the teacher I will become. I still want to know more about how students process and produce writing so this project will easily continue into my career because there is not a simple answer that will conclude this journey.  

A new idea I have is to continue to collect data even after this project is over. If the information is not available then maybe I can help produce it. I truly believe in the topic I chose for this project. Another idea I want to explore is a suggestion made by Professor Collins, which is to record some of these conversations I have with students. The spontaneity of the responses will create an original and authentic piece of information that may not other wise be created if I simply ask students to write their answers. I value that piece of advice. I had the idea to do this early on and rejected it because it would not produce a measureable result but I like the idea of using it for consideration in my research.


As I wrap up my research I find myself in a place I did not imagine. I thought I would find multiple secondary sources that would shape how I conducted my project and my primary sources would provide supplemental information. It happened the other way around where I hardly found any valuable secondary sources and most of my information came from my primary sources. It leaves me with lots of information to reflect on, interpret, and to think how I will use this as a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Casandra,

    I like that you explained that you asked each person the same questions due to the measurable aspect of data. This is something that people oftentimes forget to do. I also think that it is very cool that you are thinking about continuing this research to possibly create your own work in this field. That is a great idea! Though most students might like their topic, they most likely will not continue to research their topic after the assignment is done. Yet we always forget that we are now experts in our fields and we have the power to shed some light on our topic to our colleagues. Great idea! I hope you decide to follow through!

    ReplyDelete